To guarantee the use of this headset, you must also reserve Collaboration Room D. Patrons must also close the blinds to avoid any direct sunlight on Valve Index lenses. Direct sunlight on the lens will burn the display permanently.
The Valve Index is a high-end, tethered virtual reality headset. This headset is reservable in Collaboration Room D. Because it is tethered to a high-end computer, you will be able to experience more immersive VR experiences.
Reservation & Usage Policies
- This headset does not leave Studio X.
- You must reserve Collaboration Room D as well to use the headset.
- Hourly equipment must remain in Studio X.
- Last call for equipment is 30 minutes prior to Studio X’s closing.
- Reservations that are not picked up on time (~two hours) will be made available to other patrons.
- Requests for more than two items of the same kind require approval from a Studio X staff member.
- No more than three items may be checked out to one person at the same time.
- Equipment may be booked up to 21 days in advance.
- Equipment is available to currently enrolled UR students, faculty, and staff. Priority is given to borrowers using the equipment for course purposes.
- Studio X does not provide disposable accessories such as batteries.
- Renewing Reservations: Renewals are not automatic. You must check with Studio X staff to extend reservations and renew equipment up to an additional four hours or until closing that day (if available).
- Picking Up Equipment: A valid UR ID is required to check out equipment and must be presented at time of checkout.
- Equipment must be picked up by the individual who made the reservation.
- Returning Equipment: Equipment must be returned directly to Studio X.
- Please do not attempt to sanitize equipment. Borrowers may inadvertently damage the equipment. Studio X staff will sanitize the equipment following this process before its next use.
Late Fees & Fines
- External Lending
- $25.00/day for seven days
- After seven days, the equipment is considered to be lost, and the replacement cost (item cost) is charged to the borrower’s account. Upon return, the replacement cost will be waived.
- Internal Lending
- $5.00/per hour until $25.00
- After one day, the equipment is considered to be lost, and the replacement cost (item cost) is charged to the borrower’s account. Upon return, the replacement cost will be waived.
- Fines and fees may be paid at the Carlson Q&i Desk using a credit card. Cash and checks are not accepted. Unpaid bills will be reported to the Bursar or other appropriate authority.
- When fines accrue to $100, patrons will be unable to reserve equipment until the fines are resolved.
Valve Index Specifications
- Type Tethered
- Resolution 1,600 by 1440 (per eye)
- Refresh Rate up to 144Hz
- Motion Detection 6DOF
- Field of View 110 degrees
- Controls Valve Index Controllers
- Hardware Platform PC
- Software Platform SteamVR
- Sound Integrated headphones, 3.5mm audio jack, built-in dual microphone array