HoloLens 2 is an untethered, mixed reality headset created by Microsoft.
Patrons may reserve these headsets for use within Studio X. This equipment is intended for XR development work. Patrons must provide a reason for using this equipment as well as attend a short training session with Studio X staff.
Reservation & Usage Policies
- Borrowers may check out headsets for use within Studio X for up to four hours if available.
- Hourly equipment must remain in Studio X.
- Last call for equipment is 30 minutes prior to Studio X’s closing.
- Reservations that are not picked up on time (~two hours) will be made available to other patrons.
- Requests for more than two items of the same kind require approval from a Studio X staff member.
- No more than three items may be checked out to one person at the same time.
- Patrons are limited to booking equipment up to nine days a month.
- Equipment may be booked up to 21 days in advance.
- Equipment is available to currently enrolled UR students, faculty, and staff. Priority is given to borrowers using the equipment for course purposes.
- Studio X does not provide disposable accessories such as batteries.
- Renewing Reservations
- Renewals are not automatic. You must check with Studio X staff to extend reservations.
- Hourly equipment may be renewed for up to an additional four hours or until closing time (if available).
- Picking Up Equipment:
- A valid UR ID is required to check out equipment and must be presented at time of checkout.
- Equipment must be picked up by the individual who made the reservation.
- Returning Equipment
- Equipment must be returned directly to Studio X.
- Please do not attempt to sanitize equipment. Borrowers may inadvertently damage the equipment. Studio X staff will sanitize the equipment following this process before its next use.
Late Fees & Fines
- $5.00/per hour until $25.00
- After one day, the equipment is considered to be lost, and the replacement cost (item cost) is charged to the borrower’s account. Upon return, the replacement cost will be waived.
- Fines and fees may be paid at the Carlson Q&i Desk using a credit card. Cash and checks are not accepted. Unpaid bills will be reported to the Bursar or other appropriate authority.
- When fines accrue to $100, patrons will be unable to reserve equipment until the fines are resolved.
Loss & Damages
- If the equipment is lost, damaged, or stolen, the borrower is required to pay its replacement cost.
- All pieces of the equipment must be returned and in the same condition as in which they were lent. Please check the equipment tag for full list.
Health & Safety
- Prior to each reservation, Studio X sanitizes its equipment using a combination of UVC light technology, nanotechnology spray, and alcohol-based sanitizers. Read more about this process here.
- If you are experiencing any symptoms of a cold, like a sore throat, coughing, or sinus issues, please do not use the equipment.
- Wash your hands or use an alcohol-based disinfectant. Let your hands dry completely before using the equipment.
HoloLens 2 Technical Specifications
Read about HoloLens technical specifications here.